Sunday, June 3, 2012

Promises on the Path to Happiness

For new readers that may not know me very well, I love John Wooden. If there was a famous person (dead or alive) I could invite to dinner it would be John Wooden. I am sure he would be a wonderful dinner guest. Like I've said before I LOVE the book WOODEN: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court and think that everyone should read it at least once in their life and well I read at least parts of it every year. One of the things that got me thinking that James might be a good guy to date was that he borrowed and read my copy of Wooden. That's how much I value this book!
Recently I opened it up to a section entitled Nine Promises That Can Bring Happiness and I will attest that making these promises will increase your happiness.

1. Promise yourself that you will talk health, happiness and prosperity as often as possible.

2. Promise yourself to make all your friends know there is something in them that is special and that you value.

3. Promise to think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best in yourself and others.

4. Promise to be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.

5. Promise yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.

6. Promise to forget the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievements in the future.

7. Promise to wear a cheerful appearance at all times and give every person you meet a smile.

8. Promise to give so much time to improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others.

9. Promise to be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit trouble to press on you.

Obviously I haven't been able to do all of these at once but when I am happiest in life I can look at what I am doing and see that I am working hard to fulfill these promises. I would like to add a 10th promise, John Wooden left out in this section, although he did cover it in other parts of the book. My 10th promise is simple but not an easy task

10. Promise with God

Any promise we make with God can only lead to happiness. As we keep the covenants we have made we will indeed find the ultimate happiness of eternal life. I absolutely know this last one to be true, as I have experienced the happiness I have received in this life and caught small glimpses of the happiness to come.

1 comment: