My Relief Society is trying to start having Sunday morning breakfasts as a time to get to know each other better. So my RS president asked me if I would like to do the breakfast for this past Sunday. I reminded her that it was fast Sunday and we decided that we should have a break the fast after church instead for the whole ward. I was asked if I was willing to take charge of that and because I'm a little insane and I love to cook I accepted.
One of my favorite meals is enchiladas, rice and beans and as I found it's also really cheap to make a lot of. Friday night i went shopping and Saturday morning my VTs and another awesome girl in my ward came over and helped me cook. (Something of note: Last August I made enchiladas for my previous ward's break the fast, my roommates helped me with all of the cooking but we didn't make the food until Sunday morning. I learned you should not prepare enchiladas on Fast Sunday when you can't snack on the sauce.)
We made 8-9x13 pans of enchiladas--7 recipes of enchilada sauce (I would use 8 next time, I like my enchiladas saucy), 5 lbs of ground beef, 16 cups of cheese, half a large onion, and a little more that 2 large bags of corn tortillas--I borrowed a ton of 9x13 pans but I realized I should have just gotten the big aluminum pans and made large pans of enchiladas.
I cooked 16 cups of dry rice for the Spanish rice. It used 6 bell peppers, 2 really large yellow onions, 5 large cans of Rotel (blended, chunky stewed tomatoes gross me out), and 98 oz of chicken broth. After I rewarmed the spanish rice I mixed in a combination of fire roasted tomatoes, green chiles, garlic and cilantro for added moisture and flavor.
I cooked 6 lbs of beans, I added 3 jalapenos (I would do more next time), 1 yellow onion, and 2 cans of green chilies.
I also made a double batch of salsa and it was gone within minutes. So next time I will have to make more salsa and buy more sour cream.
With the help of Walmart, I made 95 servings of enchiladas, rice and beans for a little over 100 dollars. I was impressed.
Plus we had leftovers so I don't have to cook for the rest of the week, which is good because I have finals and I'm making the desserts for my roommates wedding reception which is Friday night.
Sorry I didn't take any pictures but there were probably 75 people that came through my apartment, it was a little crowded and I was a little stressed.
You are a goddess among mortals. The end.
ReplyDeleteP.s. it is an oversight by many a man that you are still single.